With Valentine’s Day comes an abundance of chocolate (hopefully)! While these sweet treats are a delight for us, they are not at all good for our furry family members. Chocolate contains caffeine as well as a compound known as theobromine which can cause hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors, and even death if ingested in large quantities. Baker’s chocolate or any kind of dark chocolate are the most concerning since these have the highest level of toxicity.
Sugar-free treats (even those without chocolate) can also pose a danger. Some candies, gum, or baked goods that are labeled as sugar-free may contain a sugar substitute called xylitol. This product can cause significant drops in blood sugar and even acute liver failure. Be sure to read the labels of these products and keep them out of your pets reach.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested any of these items, please seek veterinary care right away.