The 4th of July is a time of celebration! Between grilling on the BBQ, festive neighborhood parades and the after-dark firework shows, this time of year is a blast. By following the tips below, you can help ensure that you and your pet have a safe and fun-filled 4th of July.
1. Leave pets in a safe zone. The loud noise of fireworks can startle your cat or dog, so keep your pet inside your home or a place where they can feel comfortable. Book their stay at Best Friends and we’ll be sure they have a safe, comfortable and fun stay with us! If you have to leave them at home, we suggest a frozen Kong stuffed with peanut butter or treats, accompanied by some soft music and plenty of water to help ease the nerves of your furry friend. Here are a few other tips to keep your pet entertained while you’re away
2. Although we sometimes like sneaking our pets dinner scraps here and there, be mindful that some human food can be harmful to your pet. Chocolate, beer, corn-on-the-cob, onions, grapes, garlic, avocado and raisins are all hazardous foods for dogs and cats. Here is a full list of human foods you should not feed your pets.
3. Only apply sunscreen or bug repellent to your pet if you’ve consulted with your veterinarian about certain pet-friendly products. What is safe for a human to use could be harmful to your pet.
4. Charcoal, glow sticks, sparklers and fireworks can be harmful or even toxic to pets. Be sure to keep your pet away from such items. In the event that your pet does ingest or is injured by any of those items, call your emergency veterinarian immediately.
5. Did you know that more pets go missing on 4th of July than any other day of the year? Ensuring your pet has up-to-date identification (ID tags and micro-chip) may be the best way to retrieve your pet should they manage to escape during the holiday festivities. If your pet does go missing, follow these steps to help bring your furry friend back home.
For any questions, please consult your local veterinarian.
Share your photos and videos with us! Did you score a video of Sparky catching a fly ball while jumping into the pool? Did you snap a cute photo of Fluffy in a sleeping slumber? Send your best photos and videos of your pets to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured.
- http://www.petmd.com/dog/seasonal/can-dogs-wear-sunscreen //